10 Ways to Help a Friend Who is Manic or Hypomanic

So I've discussed being in a mixed state lately, and I've had a few people ask me how they can help someone who is in a mixed, manic, or hypomanic episode. After talking with some other friends of mine with bipolar disorder, I've made a list of 10 ways to help a friend who may be in one of those states. Feel free to ask me questions or message me with your input.

Here are some ways to help your friend:

  1. Try not to argue.
  2. If we are talking a lot, just be genuine and attentive. Sometimes we just need someone to talk to. 
  3. Remember the person is probably vulnerable and/or extra sensitive.
  4. Don't take our actions/words personally.
  5. Remember this is an episode and we will be ourselves again in time.
  6. Be on the look out for if we are taking on too many projects/goals. Mention it to us.
  7. Let us know if we are about to do something out of character or dangerous.
  8. When we're having a rough time or even not, let us know things will be okay.
  9. Don't be afraid to genuinely ask us about our mental health. Sometimes we need to be asked.
  10. Just love us and be there for us when we need you.
In my experience #10 is the biggest way you can help someone who is manic or hypomanic. Our brains are kind of on overdrive so we may not be thinking clearly, but we need good friends who love us and are supportive no matter what our mood may be. 

Have questions? Find me on twitter or head to my contact page. 

Popular Posts